Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The World Today

So this morning I was abruptly awoken at 6:40am. Now logic would say that my sleep was disrupted from a crying baby - oh but logic would be wrong! Maybe a confused toddler woke me up - nope! A snoring husband - wrong again! My sleep was interrupted by the construction crew building a house behind us. Yes - they felt the urgent need to start their day at twenty til seven! And as if it wasn't bad enough that they were banging around making tons of noise, they felt the need for artificial light. Why was that - BECAUSE THE SUN WASN'T EVEN UP YET!!!!!! Yes - a huge flood light shone into my bedroom windows - just adding insult to injury!

Oh I was hot! I was so mad that I wanted to march myself right over there and give them a piece of my mind. Although due to my tired state and my level of anger I felt it was probably better to just stay put! But, it did get my day started off on a very bad foot! Now not only was I up, the kids were also up. Great!

And now you are probably wondering what this delightful little rant has to do with the title of my post. Well let me just tell you.......

This rant is just one of many examples that I have come across of the selfishness and inconsiterablility of people. Our society is packeted full of people who are always putting themselves first - doing what is best for them and not caring who it impacts. I think the thought process this morning should have gone something like this...

CREW: I'm up and at work, but it is only 6:40am and I can't start until 7am due to noise restrictions (and the common curtesy of those around me) Maybe I will go and grab a cup of coffee to celebrate my ability to get up so early and make a good decision that will benefit those still sleeping. Even though I would love to get a 20 minute head start on my day, I know that someone in that house is probably still asleep in bed (especially since there are no lights on in the house).

Okay seriously - that may be a little over the top - but it is somewhat true. 20 minutes! I could have really used those last 20 minutes of sleep - I had just been up at 5:30 feeding the baby. Can you imagine what the world would be like if people stopped to think about someone other then themselves. Our pastor has been preaching on thinking about "what is the wise thing to do". If we all just stopped and thought about it before moving forward with decisions, wouldn't it make a huge impact on our world? Maybe if those in the mortgage industry had not sold loans that people couldn't afford (just so that they could make a buck) our economy wouldn't be in such bad shape and the real estate market crumbling. Maybe if AIG executives thought about someone other them themselves they wouldn't have taken bailout money in the form of bonuses when they knew that they didn't deserve them (and did they even think of all those people who lost their jobs - who can't pay their mortgage - or feed their families). Honestly!

Society has become so "self" focused that hey can't even see the train coming on the tracks! It is sad! And every day I have to do my best to teach my children what is right and what is wrong - not what is popular. I know that they will have heartches and hurt feelings from doing the right thing and not the popular thing - but it is my responsibility to raise beautiful human beings. And will do my best every day to lead by example. I will wipe my tears.....and I will wipe their tears. But we will hold our heads high and know that what we do does make our God proud of us!

2 comments:

Corie said...

I love reading your thoughts on things! You have such a clever way of thinking about life and putting it into words. Good analogies! And I think you are doing a great job raising sweet kids. :)

Diana said...

Amen! Amen! Amen! I could not have said it any better and feel the exact same way! I love your past few posts - I mean I always love reading your posts but the past few have been especially meaningful and poignant to me! :-) And I totally agree with Corie - you are doing a fantastic job raising your kiddos knowing God and teaching them to share His love with others and to follow Him.....and so sorry you got woken up that early....that is just WRONG!!! :-)