Monday, September 19, 2011

Puzzles

My dad made one of the coolest puzzles when I was a little girl. It was a square made up of 9 pieces. Each piece was also a square, but not of equal size. Now, they were not of equal size but their differences were small making it harder to distinguish one from the other. Every piece fit onto a peg and each peg hole was in a different location on the square. All of this adds up to a puzzle that appeared to be simple, but actually was quite difficult. Many times you'd put a piece onto a peg and it would seemingly fit and as you put other pieces around it you'd find that it wasn't actually in it's perfect position.

So what made me think about this puzzle? Life. My life.

I often feel like one of those pieces of my dad's puzzle. There are times when I feel like I fit, but then I figure out that something just isn't quiet like it should be. I am a pretty easy going, go with the flow kind of girl. I like to hang out with lots of different types of people. I am adventurous and like to try new things. All of these things are good attributes in my opinion, but they have in a way led me to feel that I'm not sure who I really am. For example, I grew up in the country, have lived in the big city, and now lead a suburban life. Often I long for the more slow paced more disconnected life of the country, but then I visit the big city and miss it so very badly that I could move back in a heartbeat to the fast paced exciting city life. So who am I really? I truly can't answer that question at this intersection of my life.

I am a woman in search of who she is and what she believes in. I've learned many many great life lessons in the past few years and I feel like I have come a long way. I know who I was and I guess now I'm on a journey to figure out who I really am.

No comments: