Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What are you giving out?

So, it's almost Halloween and time to start thinking about what you'll be putting in the treat bags of the kids who come by your place on Trick or Treat night. I've always wanted to be the house that handed out something "healthy" or "fun" but practicality has always told me that was just ridiculous! First, I don't want my house egged later. Secondly, who really wants those things anyway - WE WANT CANDY! So I was reading an article on Yahoo regarding the 10 worst Halloween treats.....

1. Toothbrushes - seriously who hands out toothbrushes? The only time you're happy to get a toothbrush is at the dentist. Really - if you think you're doing us a favor by handing out the toothbrush you're only kidding yourself!
2. Raisins - okay so yeah they're healthy but now dentists tell you they aren't a good snack for the kiddos anyway because they stuck in the teeth and cause decay. So nice try on the raisins - just pass them by and buy the candy!
3. Candy corn - okay just gross. I'm sorry if any of you "love" candy corn! Suck it up and buy real candy!
4. Smarties and Necco Wafers - Okay I disagree with this one. I LOVE smarties and quite frankly tend to always give them out. They are AWESOME. So if you don't like the smarties don't come to my house for candy! I can't comment on the Necco Wafers as I've never heard of them before!
5. Dum Dum Lollipops - Again I TOTALLY disagree with this one. I LOVE these little suckers. And they are great for toddlers up to adults. Just the perfect amount of candy. Again I tend to give these out...
6. Apples - gotta agree with this one. I HATED it when I got an apple and a pat on the head. You know they were feeling bad for giving you the apple and hence the consoling pat on the had. Seriously, save yourself the guilt and just give me some candy! I'm not eating that apple just out of principle!
7. Tootsie Rolls - ohhhh LOVE the Tootsie Roll. I don't give them out, but I never thought this was a bad treat. Yummy
8. Miscallaneous Wrapped Candy - really if you don't know what it is don't give it out as a treat. I mean really. I know it's cheap and comes in bulk but save us the trouble of having to sort it and throw it away. Just leave your porch light off if you really dont' like the holiday!
9. Laffy Taffy - really, I like this stuff too. How can you not. You get the candy and a joke. So fill me with sugar and tell me something funny. Sounds like a good combo to me!
10. Anything fun sized - I don't agree with this either. Big or small - I will eat them all! No big deal to me. Seriously - so they aren't a full candy bar, who cares. Eat three instead of one - it's all good!!!!

Here's the article if you are so inclined to read....
http://food.yahoo.com/blog/edlevineeats/13401/the-10-most-disappointing-treats-for-trick-or-treaters

3 comments:

Corie said...

I'm with you! I love smarties and I like laffy taffy and I have bought two bags of Dum Dums to pass out myself! I know my own child is thrilled to get suckers so why wouldn't other children be? Also I have several bags of fun-sized candy, which I think is perfectly acceptable.

And what is up with those generic orange and brown candies that you get every year? Does anyone actually eat those? My big one that I think is crazy are those Bit O Honey's-- where are people even getting these? Have they had them since 1956?

Denyse said...

CORIE!!!!! Bit O Honey is my favorite candy, shame on you!

And Mindy, you are just too funny. I totally agree about the crazy off brand bulk candy. It may be cheaper, but if it just gets thrown away, seriously, might as well toss the money in the trash!!!

minicoop said...

Last year we did POPCORN (microwave) and it was a big hit...this year we are doing fruit snack packs....I like to pick things that we can use if we don't give them all away!

Love the post!