Sunday, November 1, 2009

Simplification

For Fall Break this year we took the kids to St Louis - a feat that we were not sure how it would go. Four plus hours in the car with a 5 year old, 3 year old and 1 year old could either be brave or just plain stupid. However, I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised at how well the kids did. The girls were super good and enjoyed some new treasures that came from the Target $1 bins as well as watching movies. Little J had a few times where he whined and fought sleep, but for the most part he also did very well!

We had a great time in St Louis - visiting the Arch, the Zoo, and the City Museum. It was great to get away with just Brett and the kids and enjoy life without complications. No thoughts of the world we left behind or the stresses that come with everyday life. Just a pleasant time away from reality.

The trip had gone well until a little snaffu on the way home. .......that got me to thinking................

We had loaded the van and gotten everyone settled. I pulled Lola (our GPS) out of the cubby and fired her up. I clicked the "Take us Home" button and Lola began spouting directions in her somewhat annoying voice (but the only other option is a man's voice and I certainly don't want to take directions from a man! Ha Ha!). It was raining pretty hard making travel a little more stressful then the trip in and in a panic Brett asked me to zoom out and make sure we were headed the right way. I frantically started pushing buttons - not knowing what I was doing - and low and behold we missed our exit because I had hit the volume button by accident and didn't realize it. Lola was giving us the correct directions, but we didn't trust her. Needless to say some words were exchanged between Brett and myself - each secretly blaming the other- and a few moments of silence were endured while we came to our senses. Apologies were later exchanged and we resumed our trip without further incident.

As I have sat thinking about what transpired I felt very convicted. How many times do I pray to God asking for guidance, in essence hitting the auto pilot on the GPS, only to try to take back control. All too often when I fear that I may be going down the wrong path or I feel like I may be being led in the wrong direction I "zoom out" trying to get a glimpse of the big picture and in doing so I miss my exit or my sign. I need to have more trust and give over control to God - for He has the ultimate control in my life. Those things in my life I feel like I control - are only an illusion. God has the ultimate control - I think He just let's us feel like we are in control for our own self security. :) This scenario also reminded me that I need to live more in the here and now and stop worrying so much about the big picture. Each day is a gift with many blessings to offer - and all too often I miss them because I am too focused on events to come.

My take-aways: Pray often, relinquish control over to God, have Faith that His Will will prevail, and don't overlook today's blessings in anticipation of tomorrows.

1 comment:

Corie said...

I've been struggling with this same concept for a while now, I think it's a lesson God's really trying to teach me-- the whole not-in-control thing. Great analogy.