Sunday, January 23, 2011

Technology....argh

We live in a world today that is so connected that we've become unconnected. Remember the days when you actually had to call someone to talk to them. You had to call them to make plans, find out what they were up to. With texting and email and Facebook we are now living in a time when information is always at our fingertips. We update people on what we are doing and thinking at any given moment in the day - updates that when read by others sometimes is taken the wrong way or is hurtful because we feel left out. We now often have our arguments over email, a medium that doesn't allow for feelings or tone.

Technology while great, in many ways is hurting our relationships. Don't get me wrong, I love my technology, however I've fallen victim to it too many times to count. I've been on both sides of the hurt. I've said things that have hurt others, and I've been hurt in return.

I think often it is easier to say I'm sorry through an email. It is easier to say things that might be hard to look someone in the eyes and say. However, I don't think that a written sorry is nearly as effective as hearing it in person. When you have a face to face interaction with someone you can see their feelings on their face. You can hear the hurt in their voice. You can see the effects of what you have done. When you say you're sorry in person you can hug it out. You can right then and there bury the hurt and move on.

Yes, technology is great. It allows us to connect in ways we used to not be able to do. But technology is also a brutal attacker on relationships.

No comments: