Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Not-To-Do-List

I came across this article and I thought it was really great and wanted to share some of the thoughts of the author. Robyn Coffman wrote an article called: The Not-To-Do-List Give yourself Permission to stop doing things in your life. Here are the things she said to give yourself permission not to do....

Not to feel guilty for saying "no" to something that's good, but not right, for me or my family. I am getting better about this one, but it is hard because so often I feel obligated to do everything even if I really don't feel like it. I never want someone to think I don't like them because said no - or even never invite me again because I said no once.

Not to fear about how well-adjusted my kids will be as adults. Ohhh again hard because I always worry about my kids and how I am shaping their lives. I know that al I can do is do my best and I have to trust God to do the rest.

Not to hang something new in my closet without taking something out. I am really going to work at this one because I don't like clutter! And I know that my closet gets out of control. I have things int here I don't even like, but don't get rid of them "in case" I might want to wear them. Seriously - I just said I don't like them so why can't I just get rid of them.

Not to feel over-responsible for the well being of everyone else. Again something I'm working on. I always feel responsible for my siblings and my family and I still think that is important, but I have to let them take some responsibility for themselves too. I can't always fix everything!

Not to answer the phone after 7 p.m. Okay 7pm seems obsessive to me, but generally we don't get calls after 10pm.

Not to feel compelled to say "yes" just because I've been invited. Yeah, see #1.

Not to schedule busy activities on Sundays. We are good about this. We do try to do things as a family on Sundays or just rest!

Not to worry about what I missed at last week's play group with the girls. I love playgroup and hate to miss as I need the adult time. So I don't see it as a drain on me.

Not to buy something just because it's on sale. Ohhhh I really have to tell myself no on this one because I have a hard time resisting a good bargain!

Not to think I can make a dinner that requires more than three ingredients, do the laundry, clean the house and spend quality time with my kids all in the same day. Amen! We don't have to be "Super Mom" to be a super mom!

Not to ruminate over my mistakes or the mistakes of others. I know his one in my head, but have a hard time with it in my heart. Esepcially if it is a mistake that I can't fix.

Not to compare myself with other moms.

The author writes, "The day I realized clutter kept me from an abundant life, I set out on a mission to declutter. I'm not just talking about my closet; I mean a full overhaul. It started with anything I could see 6 inches from my eyes. After decluttering my home from top to bottom, I collapsed and relished deep satisfaction over my well-organized home. But then I realized real clutter isn't only what I can see; it's also what I can't see. It's what's perpetuating my overloaded schedule, endless commitments and overwhelming fears. A cluttered mind means I over think, over react, over analyze, over worry and over commit. How do I declutter my mind?"

It's a challenge for me and I really enjoyed this article because it made me think. Hopefully I can let go of some of these things that hang over my head and clutter up my life. I know it would lead to less stress in my life and a lot less anxiety.

If you want to read the full article here is the link....
http://www.christianitytoday.com/momsense/2008/004/7.27.html

1 comment:

minicoop said...

Love this post! Great ideas/insight! Thanks for posting!